Monday, May 27, 2013

Piano Practice

I just thought I'd write a bit about how I practice the piano, in case this is useful to anyone.
Just for context, most of my performance playing is without written out music, just with chords in a particular key and improvised along with a band. To keep myself in musical shape between performances and when I'm not getting ready for particular songs, here's what I do:

I sit at the piano about 5 times a week and play even if it's just for 5 minutes.  Frequency is important.  I start with just one exercise from the Hanon exercise book which most piano students meet in their first couple years of lessons. It's like eating your greens.  Might as well get it over with since it's good for you even if it's not very interesting.  I do this with a metronome.  The metronome keeps my ears and fingers used to following a certain tempo and being steady, just like when I'm playing with other musicians.

Next I pick one key for the day to do scales. (Over several weeks I make sure I get through every key or at least the harder ones so I'm ok playing in any key if I have to.)  I play the major scale in that key with a metronome but pick a different tempo or speed from what I used for the Hanon exercise for variety and more ear/finger training.  If I have more time I play it as a minor scale and/or as a blues scale, which I've started adding to my practice in the last couple years.  Sometimes I'll play solid, then broken chords in that key or do arpeggios in the same key.  Now and then I'll do a chromatic scale starting and ending on the first note of the key I'm in.

Finally, and again if I have the time, I'll set the metronome to yet another tempo and do some piano doodling or improvising in the key of my scale for the day.  I don't try to be very fancy or tricky. I just relax and fool around in that key.  Sometimes I'll come up with some interesting things, mostly because I'm not trying to.

And that's it for my routine.  Not very complicated but so far it has served me well and has been manageable.


No comments:

Post a Comment