Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fiddling

Attended a fiddle concert at the music school where my youngest is finishing her 1st year of fiddle class, though it's her 5th all together of violin.  Amazing to me how much variety and "cross pollinating" there is within this genre, if that's even the correct term. There were pieces with South American rhythms, Ukrainian, Irish and early 20th century American styles.  Professional musicians/instructors from the school accompanied the students on double bass, drums and guitar.

I think the most inspirational to me was the adult fiddle class of four people. Two women, two men.  The youngest was probably in his fifties.  It was also their first year of fiddle lessons and they'd worked hard.  They seemed like an interesting group of people. One man around 60 was very tall and probably half native with thick gray hair down past his shoulders. With the fiddle in hand he looked like someone straight out of a western movie set.

It was highly impressive to me that these people were learning an instrument relatively late in life. When I complimented them later they said I should join them.  Tempting prospect, though honestly less for this instrument and more for prospective socializing with a new mix of people.  Guitar and/or cello appeal to me a lot more right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment