Thursday, March 15, 2012

Self-management

    At a wellness show with a couple hundred displays I walked past one offering "Self-management" courses and did a double take.  Really?  Instantly I pictured a dog trainer teaching himself to heel or a human resources person with no staff.  Mocking aside, however, I could probably use a course like this.  For me it's much easier to organise someone else's life than my own.  Actually it's certain parts of my life that are hard for me to map out sensible and stick to.  I think these areas are very different for every creative person.
      For me money is fairly easy to keep orderly.  I also have a good sense of alloted time needed for commuting/travel and usually do ok managing adequate sleep, nutrition, exercise and keeping certain stresses low.  Borg efficiency, you know. (See "We are Borg" if you don't know what I'm talking about) What I'm terrible at is charting out and following a plan for making art, keeping all manner of paper under control, being self-directed in reviewing materials from healthcare courses and doing regular house-work (extremely low if not negative on the inspiration charts for me). 

                    Creative dream coach might ask you and me:
1.  Which of your life areas do you find easiest to self-manage? Why?
2.  Where do you struggle the most with self-management? Ideas why?
3.  In which difficult areas of self-managment have you made encouraging progress?
4.  What resources, including people you know, could help you with the struggling areas?
5.  What self-management skills do you have that could help someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment