Friday, April 19, 2013

A Cure for Gravity

I found this book randomly at the library and am a third of the way through.  Not offering opinions on Joe Jackson's music because I haven't consciously heard it, but I'm searching for worthy adjectives for his writing.

The back of the book says,"Honest, funny, wise and inspiring; tells you more about music and the love of music than a shelf-full of textbooks." Still not adequate.

For me it's a feast for my funny bone and my word bone if I have one.

From my reading so far here are some quotes:

pg. 75 "This pub not only had a piano but..a 1902 Blechstein...which had lain dormant, like a volcano, for many years."

pg. 81 "My Mother was fixated on the idea that I should become a music teacher....I told her I'd rather be boiled in oil."

pg. 108  "...none of us could cook.  Jude tried; she battled tragically with the kitchen."

pg. 114  "The Big Time..was a place where you might become more, rather than less, vulnerable."

pg. 114, 115  "Music was more than just a hobby and more than just a job.  I was in this for keeps, no matter how vulnerable I might feel..."

pg. 115 "Critics...one thing we cannot afford to let a critic be is a guiding light.  An artist who lets critics make his decisions for him is doomed."

No comments:

Post a Comment