Sunday, August 11, 2013

Tillers Folly

    Recently a certain young fiddler I know took part in a summer concert and I, the driver, came along. We headed to a peaceful, tree lined field that sloped down to a fold out stage-in-a-truck. People trickled in leisurely with camp chairs and blankets.  The fiddlers did their thing under the diffused orange glow of a late setting sun.  Surprisingly varied tunes and fiddle styles, even for the youngest students.

    All this to say that the fiddlers were the opening act for a three piece group called Tillers Folly.  New to me.  Blue grassish/folk/country style which doesn't cross my path a whole lot.  In general I don't get to attend a lot of concerts.  Even fewer outdoor ones.  This one, thankfully, turned out to be a winner.  The lead singer's voice reminded me of Christopher Cross for some reason and I didn't expect such pretty melodies and intricate instrumentals.  The mandolin player was also fiddler.

    Soon the lounging crowd relaxed into a soothed, timeless trance.  It was soul medicine.  Soul salve.  I let the songs wash over me, carrying off the day and whatever had muddied up my spirit lately.  Another part of my consciousness said to myself, "This is what I want to do as long as I'm on the planet and beyond if I may." Let music flow into a collective stream and over whoever will receive it.  A solace and echo of sacrament in our fragile days.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment