Monday, February 18, 2013

Supporting Role

    This morning I'm thinking about people who support artists.  My husband is one of them.  He's not artistic  and has very little interest in creative things.  He won't be found reading books called "Imagine" or listening to pod casts about people who make things.  He does, however, value and enable those who are artists, especially in his immediate family.

   For my many music practices and events he has always been open to releasing me to do what I love the most.  When I've covered the dining table and kitchen island  in paints, fabric or pieces of plants or if I'm hammering nails into walls for decorative experiments he is blissfully tolerant.  When it's drama season for daughter number one he patiently works later to be there for her practice pick ups and attends as many performances as he can, even of the same show.

   To be honest there are times I envy artists who are married to creative people.  Just this weekend I sang with a music team that included 3 other couples who do music together.  But though I feel creatively alone at home,  I'm starting to think that maybe there's purpose. That maybe these are the circumstances I've needed to develop my artistic backbone and my own creative identity.  And without these circumstances maybe I wouldn't have gone as far to collaborate with other creative people who enrich my artistic world and my life.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment